Pride

•  
  • 114
  • 18
  • 6
In 1984, the National Union of Mineworkers began a strike to try to stop colliery closure in the UK. Divided, demonized by the government, and repressed by the police, entire mining communities were in a dire situation. Then, an unexpected ally came to their help.

Maybe identified with the struggle and discrimination the miners were receiving, the homosexual community funded the "Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners" group to support the strike. They hold several "Pits and Perverts" concerts to raise fund for the miners.

One year later, the strike ended with a resounding defeat of the miners, and the strengthening of Margaret Tatcher's government. But not everything was lost. The miners labour group became supportive of the homosexual movement, and in 1985 they walked at the head of the Gay Pride march.

That same year, the Labour party hold a vote for a resolution to support support LGBT rights. Votes like that were held (and lost) several times in the past. But this time was different due to the unanimous support of a particular group: the National Union of Mineworkers.

A quote from the movie, taken from IMDB:

[Talking to the receptionist of a Record Company]
Receptionist: There are no gay artists on this label. I'm sorry.
Mark: They don't have to be gay. That's the point. This is a coming together of all different people...
[Phone Rings, The Receptionist Answers and Shoo's Mike and Mark Away]
Mark: [as They Leave the Building, Mark Runs Off to the Side]
Mike: What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?
[Mark is Writing on the Wall Underneath Two Posters]
Mark: That's the number for Gay Switchboard. You never know. One of them might need it one day.
[the Two Posters are Revealed to Be of Soft Cell and Elton John]