The young can learn a lot about life from older people

•  
  • 5663
  • 2
  • 1
Mar 24, 2012 07:33 elder elderly essay composition young old
Despite being nowadays the fastest growing social group, elder people still struggle to find an active and appreciated role in our society. While often regarded more as a burden for the younger generations rather than a precious source of knowledge and support, the elderly could really play a positive role of tutoring for the younger people.

First of all, they could be considered a sort ofliving historical memory”: they are the ones that witnessed what we are used to study on books, and who better than them could help young people to fully understand some of the most crucial events of the past?

Moreover, the elderly are the supreme "guardians" of every cultural and familiar tradition. It’s their duty to transfer those precious believes and customs in the hands of the younger ones so they, in turn, will be able to pass them to their sons and grandsons.

Even more importantly, older people - in the roles of parents, grandparents, teachers and many others - have already tried on their skin what most of the younger is bound to experience in the course of their lives. So, the young could put to use the many pieces of advice that come from old generations in order to be prepared to the unavoidable challenges that await them in the future.

It’s a shame that so many youngsters don’t realize what invaluable source of wisdom and experience they could find in an old person.