My husband opposes me getting a job

•  
  • 34
  • 0
  • 2
Nov 6, 2017 12:01 Troubleshooter
DISCLAIMER: This is a translation of the trouble part of "Troubleshooter", a Japanese newspaper article. So you don't have to give me advice, but I'd appreciate it if you guys leave some comments.

I'm a homemaker in my forties. We are in great straights and I'm thinking of getting a job as soon as possible, however, in order to hold me back, my husband gave me harsh words like, "I'm sure you'll fail in work because you just can't do anything right at home. "

It was really shocking since I've done housework in my own way with effort. Now I manage house chores, but thinking that he's looked at me that way, I'm feeling devastated. Sometimes my eyes water with thought of his heartless insult. I can't look directly in his eyes and our relationship remains sour.

Although I thought of talking about this with my mother or mother-in-law, they'd told me before, "You two should handle this because it's your business," so I'm stuck in the dead end.

I think I need to find a motivation to work now that my children have grown up to require less attention. However, if I whine even slightly starting a job, I'm sure he will say, "See, I was right."