First Language

•  
  • 566
  • 1
  • 1
First Language

It is said that there are 6,500 languages in the world. Almost all languages originally were constituted in order to speak them, and even each of the native speakers can speak the mother tongue, but some of them cannot write it. In one sense, speaking is the priority of languages.

Languages are mainly created so that people can transmit their own idea and feeling one another immediately. You might say that the origin was for writing, but I believe that oral communication would emerge earlier than literal communication. For example, archaeologists sometimes present us the facts that there remain pictures which were drawn on the walls of caves long time ago, and the old pictures do not have letters, but the depictions of human beings, animals, and their imagination. Thus, people in the past probably were able to say something or organize acoustic communication at least as well as animals before they started to write letters. As this example illustrates, speaking has been more superior to writing since languages emerged. Even today, when people acquire their first language, they start to speak it ealier than to write it.