Cheaper Consumer Goods

•  
  • 2200
  • 4
  • 1
It is true that consumer goods become cheaper today than in the past for several reasons such as mass production and the improvement of logistics. Although there are both advantages and disadvantages, I personally believe the benefits of cheaper consumer goods should be valued over the drawbacks.

On the one hand, the fact that various kinds of consumer goods are cheaper and cheaper has good arguments. First, cheap consumer goods can help people living in poverty to lead comfortable lives. All citizens cannot live without consumer goods and therefore, expenditure on them often puts pressure on households’ budgets. The lower prices of customer goods are, the more food, clothes and even luxuries people afford to buy. Second, inexpensive consumer goods are also helpful for governments. Recently, a huge number of people receive benefits from their governments. However, governments always struggle to raise enough money to give to the poor. I consider that cheaper consumer goods allow them to reduce the amount of benefits.

On the other hand, there are some downsides of the current situation where more and more goods are affordable. Many people will throw their belongings away without hesitation, and buy new ones. This means that people do not try to make efforts to repair their items repeatedly, which causes natural resources to be depleted.

In conclusion, I would like to emphasize that less expensive consumer goods can help the general public and governments to save money, despite the fact that some people might buy new goods even if old ones are not broken.