Enjoying Time with Friends Helps One Adjust to New Surroundings

•  
  • 542
  • 18
  • 4
A friend of mine, who stayed in the US for two years, told me about his difficulties when he went to America for the first time. He arrived there in April and became a little down in the dumps because so many things were strange to him. He said he tried hard to adapt himself to the new environment, but the more he struggled, the more he became homesick. At last, he wasn't able to enjoy himself at all for many months.

Time passed and it was fall. When he saw beautifully decorated show windows with Halloween ornaments, he said his spirits a little rose. And a month later, when he was invited by his American friends on Thanksgiving Day, he enjoyed himself having a conversation over wine, beer and delicious meals. In December, while he was with his friends and his family, he reached a peak of excitement, so around that time, he said he didn't want to leave America.

He is a simple minded person, and I thought he should have arrived in the US in fall to avoid becoming homesick. Now, it's November. Thanksgiving is coming soon. Do you feel good around this time of the year?
アメリカに2年間滞在していた私の友人は、アメリカに最初行った時の辛かった出来事を話してくれた。4月に米国に着いた時、慣れない事が多くて、彼は気分は落ち込む事が多かったそうだ。新しい環境に順応しようと、もがけばもがくほどついにはホームシックにかかったそうだ。そして最後には何ヶ月も何をやっても楽しむ事ができなくなったらしい。

時間はどんどん過ぎ、秋になり、カラフルなハロウィーンの飾りつけがされた店のショーウィンドウを見ると気分が少し上昇してきたという。収穫感謝祭の日に友人の家に招待された時は、美味しい食事、ビール、ワインを飲み友人との会話を楽しめたそうだ。そして12月になりクリスマスイヴに家族や友人といた時はアメリカを離れたくなかったと言っていた。

彼は非常に単純な人ですね。おそらく秋にアメリカに着けば落ち込まなくてすんだのでしょう。今はもう11月、収穫感謝祭ももうすぐです。皆さん、気分は盛り上がってますか?