Mottainai (Wasteful)

•  
  • 456
  • 15
  • 5
When I bought hair accessaries at a department store in Yokohama, a shop keeper wrapped them in a small plastic bag and then put that plastic bag in a small paper bag. She had done very rapidly while I was taking out my wallet to pay in cash, so I didn't have any chance to say,"No need wrapping." After I got out of the shop, I felt a little bit bad, because I knew it was excessive wrapping and couldn't say anything. Since that time, I've put my own plastic bag in my regular bag and started to say, "No need wrapping."

There was a Mottainai campaign in 2005 in Japan. When a Kenyan woman, Wangari Maathai came to Japan, she was moved to know a Japanese word, "Mottainai" which means wasteful. She suggested that "Mottainai" can represent 3R which are Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, so she started to use it as a global word in order to protect the environment in the world.

It's obvious if we cut down on excessive wrapping, we will be able to reduce the amount of trash. If a number of people in the world start to recognize "Mottainai", we can preserve and protect our environment more than ever. I think it's a shame if we can't make use of this beautiful Japanese word, Mottainai.
Img_hn_pc_bn300-3484a621094d33784ab18d6efd7f193a