The magical word かわいい has changed some stereotypes--final 大人かわいい

•  
  • 769
  • 2
  • 2
May 22, 2010 01:48 japan situation situation words
As I described in my previous entires, new words in which the word かわいいare incorporated have been coined recently (かわいい means cute, pretty, adorable and so on). If you are interested in finding more information, please see the links below.
http://lang-8.com/33465/journals/486947
http://lang-8.com/33465/journals/489487

Today, I'll introduce 大人かわいい that is often heard lately. 大人 means adults literally. I think that 大人 here indicates women who feel they are no longer young enough to be considered かわいい, especially in their appearances. Specifically, it suggests women mainly in their 30s and 40s.

The new word 大人かわいい seems to have won the hearts and minds of women in their 30s and 40s who really want to be かわいい regardless of age. However, they don't want to be considered to be making futile effort to be かわいい. They hesitate to wear lovely outfits that are targeting young women. On the other hand, they have a strong desire to wear similar lovely outfits with ones they used to wear when they were young. Understanding their feelings, the new concept 大人かわいい was created to offer them new styles.

First, outfits that focus on 大人かわいい hit the market. The outfits are designed to meet the needs of such women. In other words, the outfits are lovely but not too lovely. I suppose that because the women struggle with their busy daily lives, because the mothers sometimes realize that they forget to be a woman, they need such outfits that make them cheerful or feel they a woman. Since I have never been interested in lovely outfits, I was honestly astonished by how many people, regardless of age, are fascinated by them.

I would say that the popularity of the new word has shown the following things: Not only in the fashion world but also in daily life, the new word has allowed women over 30 to be free from conventional ideas and stereotypes, such as the idea that you should or shouldn't do something because of your age. Women in their 30s and 40s who are wondering if they can do something are encouraged to move on by the new word.

The magical word かわいい has been playing an important role in changing conventional ideas and stereotypes recently. At the same time, I've realized again how much being かわいい is valued in Japan.