Let's go to Akita to see beautiful Japanese women!!

•  
  • 3674
  • 11
  • 2
Have you heard of the Japanese phrase " Akita-bijin / 秋田美人" ? Akita/秋田 is a prefecture in the northern part of Japan, facing the Sea of Japan. Bijin/美人 means beautiful woman. So, Akita-bijin/秋田美人 means that beautiful women from Akita, implying that there are many beautiful women in Akita. I'm not sure whether of not Akita has more beautiful women than other prefectures. I don't know exactly when the phrase became very popular, but it was already popular when I was a child many years ago. It's been said that women in Akita have beautiful skin.

The other day, I saw a TV show about beautiful skin on NHK, the Japan's national public broadcast station. The show introduced women at a town in Akita as those with beautiful skin. Admittedly, many of them had fair and beautiful skin. Four of them over 70 without makeup were amazing. Their facial skin was really beautiful and fair without flicks and with very few winkles. This skin made them look much younger. Can you guess why the women in Akita have beautiful skin?

According to the show, Akita has the shortest annual hours of sunlight in Japan. And, the four elderly women with beautiful skin have been living in the town since they were children. They worked inside for many years. It proves that people who have fewer chances of being subjected to sunshine tend to have beautiful skin. As you may know, ultraviolet is harmful to skin. it causes not only skin cancer but also flecks and wrinkles which make people look older. As a matter of fact, elderly people who always work outside tend do look older than they are.

I think that beautiful skin is one of the most important elements of beauty. Also, I feel that as you get older, beautiful skin grows in importance. After seeing the show, I've realized why the phrase Akita-bijin/秋田美人” was coined and became very popular.