Liberation from the Self

•  
  • 133
  • 5
  • 3
What kinds of topics do you usually post here on Lang-8? I suppose this depends to some extent on how fluent your learning language is. As for me, many of my posts must be abstract and nonsense. I'd be grateful if you could give me any suggestions about how to improve the contents.

By the way, I like Einstein's quotes, most of which seem very true. Among them, there's a quote that goes “The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self." I think this is kind of like sarcasm in a SNS society. I mean, what some people post on social media is all about themselves or their surroundings though it’s in part responsible for the situation. In fact, it doesn't seem easy for those people to care for other things.

Soseki Natsume, who is often seen as the greatest literary figure in Japanese history, left a word of "則天去私," which is analogous to what Einstein said. I don't fully understand their thoughts, but it may be good for us not to be obsessed by ourselves too much even if we're busy living.

Thanks for reading.