Tips for Japanese Learners #3

•  
  • 192
  • 17
  • 3
Mar 23, 2018 13:06 ForJapaneseLearners
If you want to tell your foreign friends popular and famous places in your country, how do you explain them? In that case, we Japanese have a unique method. When we talk about them, we sometimes refer to “日本三大〇〇.” It means something like “The big three xxx in Japan.” You know, it sounds impressive, and once you’ve heard it, you feel like sharing it with others. We also say “世界三大〇〇” (The big three xxx in the world). In fact, there’s no prestigious association for it, and they’re controversial sometimes, but here are what we hear very often. It can not be places.

日本三大祭り:「祇園祭」(京都)、「天神祭」(大阪)、「神田祭」(東京)
(The big three festivals in Japan: “Gion Festival in Kyoto”, “Tenjin Festival in Osaka”, “Kanda Festival in Tokyo”)

日本三大秘境:「白川郷」(岐阜)、「祖谷」(徳島)、「椎葉村」(宮崎)
(The big three secret spots in Japan: “Shirakawa-go in Gifu”, “Iya in Tokushima”, “Shiiba village in Miyazaki)

日本三大うどん:「讃岐うどん」、「稲庭うどん」、「五島うどん」
(The big three udon in Japan: “Sanuki udon”, “Inaniwa udon”, “Goshima udon”)

世界三大珍味:「キャビア」、「フォアグラ」、「トリュフ」
(The big three food delicacies in the world: “Caviar”, “Foie gras”, “Truffle”)

世界三大河川:「アマゾン川」、「ナイル川」、「ミシシッピ川」
(The big three rivers in the world: “The Amazon River”, “Nile”, “The Mississippi River”)

世界三大夜景:「ナポリ」、「香港」、「函館」
(The big three night views in the world: “Naples”, “Hong Kong”, “Hakodate”)

世界三大無用の長物:「ピラミッド」、「万里の長城」、「戦艦大和」
(The big three white elephants: “Pyramid”, “Chinese Wall”, “The battleship YAMATO”)

私的三大気まずい瞬間 (The big three moments I’m personally embarrassed)
「綺麗に別れたと思ったら、帰る道が同じだった。」
(After I say good-bye to a person elegantly and nicely, we go to the same route.)
「トイレで用を足して出たら、そのすぐ後に上司が入ってきた。」
(My supervisor comes in the place where I do number two and get out of there.)
「得意げに日本の慣習を紹介したら、世界でもごくありふれたことだった。」
(Though I smugly introduce a Japanese custom, it’s quite common in the world.)

If you can introduce things like these, I bet many people find it interesting. It’s also fun to come up with something by yourself. Do you have something about the big three things?