The whole week I'm just busy negotiating.

•  
  • 107
  • 0
  • 0
Jun 24, 2017 05:36 #impbased #mariapetrova
The whole week I'm just busy negotiating. In Slovenian. In view of the fact that I do not speak the language, it is an interesting experience.

Actually, since I moved here, my language habits have changed.
Let's start by saying that I hardly use Russian right now. Apart from daily five-minute home telephon calls or some extended but rare Skype conversations. This makes out about two hours per week.

I live and work in English. The language I speak most often and which is most important to me at the moment. When I used to run through the streets of another city in an another country, my ear instinctively began to catch speaking Russian, now I am reacting to the English language at the same way. I walk through Ljubljana and when I hear people talking English, is enough to warm my heart.

When I arrived in Slovenia, I had an ambitious plan to master the Slovenian basic level, as long as I am already here. Uh-huh.

A little lyrical digression: in the course of my life I began to learn four foreign languages. Two of them I now speak fluently, the third - on the level of an uneducated person, and in the fourth I am only able to introduce myself and order three tequila. The most important thing I have learned: to master a foreign language, you have either to start with it in childhood or have a real need for it. The need may arise by whatever, but the best situation is when the knowledge of this language determines the boundaries of your own comfort zone.
In other words, if you really need to understand what is happening around you and you want being understood.

In Slovenia there is no such motivation for me. Ever. Firstly, if one can speak Russian or another Slavic language, one will be able to survive, because the morphology is similar, reading is not a problem, and even in the worst scenario one can get along with each other. My negotiations are proof of this.
Secondly, almost everyone here speaks English, and not only: Slovenia occupies third place among the EU countries according to the number of languages ​​spoken by its population.
In fact, the average citizen speaks at least three languages. The most common are Slovenian, Croatian and English. They are followed by German, Italian and Russian.

So I quickly came to the conclusion that I would really only need Slovenian to ask for the way now and then, or to order a kebab without onions and it will be sufficient for me since I do not intend to stay here forever. We'll see.

The only category that is a bit more difficult is the retirees. But then I smile at them and change into Russian. And usually it works. With the rest I have no problems (c).