A Good Book: Simple and Usable Web, Mobile and Interaction Design

• 324
  • 3
  • 1
About the book, as its title says, it teaches people how to design simple and usable web, mobile,and interaction applications and services. The author presents four proven strategies for achieving simplicity, which are remove, hide, organize and displace. Each theme is then divided into many short topics, that are easy to learn and understand.

When I first came across this book, what impressed me most is that the book itself is very simple. Every two pages, one is the text and the other is a related picture, is a small topic. It's simple and beautiful, more important, easy to read with your fragmented time. Whenever you have several minutes' free time, you can read two pages.

As I read deeper into the book, I nd every small topic is extremely reasonable and usable. For example, it says, "Instructions seem to say, 'See how much effort we've made to explain this to you? If you don't get it, it's your own fault.' ". Users seldom read user-manual, it's true, but few developers don't take it serious. Another example, it's a interesting story. In Tokyo there is an Apple Store, which has a glass elevator without even a single button. It shuttles between the four floors of the store, stopping at each one it passes. Is it cool? Of course, this is my rst impression. But then the author points out the problem, first visiting there people feel frustrated, anxious and not in control, similar to the sense of fearing dropping things besides a tall building. Very reasonable explain!

Look around you, you'll find a lot of the design problems the book mentioned and good design tips the book advised. Some software has unnecessary color schemes option, because the user totally doesn't care it. The good software makes the right choice for the user and let user can do what they want to do intently. Some Companies think too much about their expert customers too much, with many features that main-streamers never use. Products are too complex for main-streamers to accomplish. So I think this is what the book teaches us most---letting us view the design in a different way and design something thing simple and usable.