dragon boat festival in China

•  
  • 91
  • 1
  • 1
The Dragon Boat Festival,one of three major Chinese holidays, is possibly can date back to the Warring States Period in 227 B.C. comparing with another two 2 festivals, Spring Festival and Autumn Moon Festival, the dragon boat festival is the oddest one. The dragon boat festival is also called Duan Wu Festival which occurs on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar. It is very interesting that people from different countries but have festivals on the same day. For example, Japanese call this day as kotomo no hi which similar to the Children’s Day. And in Korea this day is called Dano which evolved by the agriculture sacrifice. However in China, people celebrate it for commemorating Qu Yuan, a minister in the service of the Chu Emperor during the Warring States period. Despairing over corruption at court, losing the credit from emperor by intrigues of his opponents, Qu Yuan jumped into Milo River on the on the fifth day of the fifth moon in the year 295 B.C. Townspeople jumped into their boats and tried to save this upright and honest man. But in vain, QU died at the age of 37. Then, townspeople decorated the narrow paddle boats with the fierce looking carved dragon head on the boats’ head and through beat drums to scare the fish away. They also scattered Zong Zi into the water, hoping to distract hungry fish from his body. Zong Zi is one king of foods which made by rice wrapped in bamboo leaves. In English is rice. Over the years, the story of Qu’s demise transformed into the traditions of racing dragon boats and eating zongzi, the main parts of the Dragon Boat Festival that we commemorate nowadays. Probably the most exciting and interesting part of the festival is the racing of the Dragon Boats. This activity certainly attracted many people from all over the world. Every spring there are nearly 60 dragon boat races held outside of China. Nowadays, these races not only symbolize the demise of Qu Yuan, they also demonstrate the virtues of cooperation and teamwork. Above all, The Dragon Boat Festival is an entertaining and enjoyable event and it gives the observer an opportunity to glimpse a part of the rich Chinese cultural heritage.