Definition Of Soul!

•  
  • 493
  • 12
  • 3
Dec 19, 2015 23:03 Philosophy and Spirituality
There are some fundamental questions about your self identity which are difficult to answer. For instance, Who am I? Am I what I think? Why am I born?
If I ask you, who are you? You might tell your name and your profession; some might say, "I'm a human". But first of all, you are a soul. What is soul? What does that mean? Why can't we see that?
In so many religion including Hinduism soul is a second name of God. What is the reason that the individual soul separates from God? The cause of it is the ego and ignorance. People think, they belong to a specific country and a city. But if they think, they are only an excerpt of the universe, they would live more happily. And here ego means ‘the will to exist’; it is the aspiration for manifestation and self-expression in the sense of “I want to exist”.
One cannot explain or describe the soul. The closest comparison is with light or space. Space cannot be cut, burnt or otherwise destroyed. Space always remains space. One can divide space by fences or walls to create “individual” spheres that can be shaped or decorated differently, but as soon as the demarcations are removed the undivided, unified space again emerges.
There are so many definitions of soul and one of them is in Gita. "The soul never takes birth or die at any time nor does it come into being again when the body is created. The soul is birth less, eternal, imperishable and timeless and is never destroy when the body is destroyed."
The so described soul cannot be harmed by weapons, and since it is formless and shapeless - it cannot be cut into pieces by any instrument. In the same way, fire cannot burn it or destroy it. Water cannot wet it because water can only act on elements which have a physical description or dimension. For the same reason, wind cannot dry it or exert any force on it. Thus the soul is beyond the influence of all the three primary forces (fire, water and wind) which can affect entities having physical form and description.The soul cannot be cut, burnt, suffer any decay or be dried out. The five forces of nature which are capable of destroying physical elements by their combined actions have no influence on the soul. That is why it is referred to as nitya or permanent or unchangeable. This permanence gives it the powers of omnipresence, omniscience and stability. It is this stability that gives it the quality of immovability and the soul is called Sanatana (hinduism is also referred to as sanatana dharma(religion). Sanatana literally means - that which is not created or destroyed - it belongs to time immemorial.
Because of the concept, there are so many saint can live so many month or years without eating.