The Earthquake Changed People's Motivation for Work

•  
  • 321
  • 1
  • 1
After the huge earthquake occurred in north east area of Japan in 2011, Japanese people's attitude toward work has significantly been changed.
The graph above is based on a survey done by an insurance company. Subject of the survey was ten thousand men and women aged 20 to 59, and 5863 employed people answered to it. It is indicating how Japanese people's purpose of working has been changed after the earthquake. It vividly shows deference between before and after the earthquake, in terms of what Japanese people are regarding the most important in their work.

Before the earthquake,high income and self-fulfillment were majority of people's top priority of their work. Also,not many people were particularly wishing that their workplace to be close to the place where their family live.

However,after the earthquake, the percentage of the people who regard high income and self-fulfillment as the most important thing declined drastically,whereas the percentage of the people who wish to work close to their family significantly increased. It is also remarkable to see that more people have changed their attitude toward family: a number of people started to think that their family is more important than their work.

It had long been said that Japanese people are "workaholic", who do not hesitate to put their work forward rather than their family. However, it seems that having been in tragic circumstances, many of Japanese people realized importance of their family.