Reading is an Addiction

•  
  • 665
  • 14
  • 4
Do you like reading?
Personally, I adore.

As a kid, I used to read a lot. Everything. Tons of comics: Tintin, Asterix, Gaston Lagaffe, which are my favourite ones, but also Titeuf, Blueberry, Black and Mortimer, Lanfeust of Troy, Leonard, Spirou, Les profs, and many others.

I didn't only read comics, though. :)
My mother is a big reader and has always been. She's always reading books, purchasing or borrowing them. Therefore I guess my sister and I caught this "illness". So I've read numerous novels for kids, fell in love with Agatha Christie's books - I love all the Hercule Poirot series and And Then There Were None, also known as Ten Little Niggers - and started with a certain curiosity to read "classics".
Even though I don't remember every book I've read, I know I particularly liked Maupassant's books, especially Une Vie or Les contes de la Bécasse. These are not the happiest books one can read, for sure. Also Candide, by Voltaire, has left good memories. It's not a real novel however, but rather a philosophic one, or whatever we call it. The Grapes of Wrath, by Jhon Steinbeck, or La Chartreuse de Parme, by Stendhal, are some of the masterpieces I appreciated the most.

After the baccalauréat, I stopped reading. Or at least I seldom read, maybe an occasional book or two during the holidays. Lack of time is the common excuse when we stop doing something.

In summer this year, I resumed. It started with my annual book, but this time more followed. Indeed, I had asked my mother to borrow some books in English, my very first ones.

I embarked on this wonderful journey with John Grisham. I wasn't disappointed, and found his novels truly great. I advise all English learners whom like legal thrillers to read him. His books are captivating but easy to understand as well!

Now I'm reading my second book of John Le Carré, for the library doesn't own more Grisham's books (they have just four). His writing style is much more elaborated and thus I encounter more difficulties. Once I overcome the first one hundred pages, though, it's fine, and I can enjoy the story.

I realise that the more I read, the more I want, or even need, to read. I feel like I've wasted time all those years during which I didn't read. I want to read, to read everything, in French, in English, in Portuguese, anything I find.

Reading is a fabulous mean to learn lots of things, and first of all a language, even your native one. But it's also an agreeable entertainment that enables to dream, to be in another world.

So what are you currently reading, and which books would you recommend?