An English Class in London

•  
  • 208
  • 1
  • 1
An English Class in London

Although I've been in London for two years and a half, I still have difficulty in English. It sometimes causes problems on my job. I wanted to accelerate improving my English skills. Actually, daily life in London is not enough to learn English: I spend most of my time in front of a computer to analyse data as my job. I don't speak English often, I speak English just only in meetings. It is obvious not enough to brush up my skill. I have attended a flying school not only for flying but also for using English. However broken English was enough to communicate with flight instructors. I should have other oppotunity to learn English. I looked for English classes which are open on weekend, but it was not easy: Most English schools have only short special courses on weekend, they were not regular course. Finally, I found a school which has a Saturday course in central London. I sent an email to have a trial lessen. They said I could join anytime and it was free. Of course, I had not been in English class in London, although I had some experience in Japan. I could not imagine how they were. They cannot use Japanese at all. How could they teach English in English? A Saturday morning, I went to the school. At the reception, they asked me to take a short written test to evaluate my basic English skill to decide which class I should join. They said I should join a class at skill level 4. They lent me a text book, in which all explanations were written in English. The class was consisted of two lessens separated with a 15 min interval. Five students, including me, attend the class: Two Japanese, a Korean, an Italian and a Spanish: They are all working in London and they could not attend weekday classes. At the first lessen, we used the text book. Various short question sentences were written in the text book, for example "Which successful people do you want to be like?". Although we talked each other using the sentence, the sentence was only a cue of our discussion. We talked each other more freely. The teacher was sitting next to us and corrected our wrong English when he noticed. Of course he corrected our English in English. I could understand his corrections and explanations. It was possible to teach English in English. The first lessen lasted about 75 minutes. At the second class, another teacher came and taught more grammatical topics. Although there was a topic to discuss, basically we spoke each other freely and the teacher corrected our wrong English in our conversation. It lasted 90 minutes.
It was fun and good opportunity to use English. I would like to go ahead the class.