Radio communications

•  
  • 192
  • 4
  • 1
One of the difficulty to get a pilot certification is to get a skill for radio communication.  We establish radio communications with controllers or someone at an aerodrome during flying in an airplane. There are many things to do during take off and landing.  In addition, we operate radio during them in English.  I got my first pilot certification in the USA.  So I struggled with it through out my training in the United States.  After that, I transferred my certification from the US to Japan.  Of course, we communicate in English even in Japan.  But we are not native speakers both pilots and controller and controller knows I'm poor at English.  So it is much easier than in the United States.  And the procedures are not much different between the US and Japan.  Now, I'm student pilot in the UK.  I have to communicate with native controllers in English.  In addition, communication procedure are slightly different between the US and the UK.  I sometimes be confused by the differences.  I thought that I had to improve my communication skills.  It is not enough to do during flight training.  Most student pilots learn radio skills on the ground to watch someone's communications by receivers.   Of course, I did it in the US.  I thought I should do it again in the UK.  I went to Cambridge airport by train with my receiver today.  I found a pub beside o the runway and get into it.  I watch someone's communication by the receiver over lunch.  I saw airplanes flying around the airport and watch their communications simultaneously.  It was educative for me.  I found some phrases which I did not watch during my flight.  Furthermore, this training is free and safe!  It was very good.  I should do it again.