Dinner with a Japanese friend

•  
  • 124
  • 2
  • 1
Since starting learning Japanese seriously, I have been looking for language exchange partners, and I have befriended a few Japanese girls recently.

I invited one of them to have dinner with me last night. From the moment I saw her, I started speaking Japanese with her. It's good that her English is almost non exist. So we had to communicate in Japanese most of the time.

Speaking a foreign language in front of people who don't understand it is an amazing experience. People would stare at you in awe and admiration. For me, that's a big part of the fun of learning languages. I don't know if it's just me, or if everybody else also enjoys the attention you'd attract when speaking foreign languages.

We went to a Thai restaurant, ordered a few dishes, and enjoyed our food and conversation. She could understand everything I said, and I could understand about 70 percent of what she said. That's quite encouraging and a boost to my confidence. When learning a new language, I go through different stages at different times. Being able to hold simple conversations and read and send text messages is one of the initial stages for me.

She was not a love interest or anything, but I sometimes flirted with her jokingly, and she described my suggestive words as "思わせぶり". That's a really useful word, I thought.