The Fourth Estate

•  
  • 115
  • 0
  • 0
I started reading Jeffrey Archer's novel "The Fourth Estate" today. I've read quite a few books by Jeffrey Archer, but they were all short story collections. I lacked the patience and persistence that enable people to finish reading a long novel. The book had been lying on my table ever since I bought it from a second hand bookshop.

I've only read the first 20 pages of the book, so I wouldn't be able to form an overall impression of the book. Still, I have a feeling that the book will be an interesting read.

One of the book's two protagonists is a media tycoon. He is faced with bankruptcy due to financial difficulties. Still he eats at expensive restaurants. Here is a scene from the novel where he is dining at a fancy restaurant:

Armstrong flicked open the folded slip but showed no interest in its contents. Seven hundred and twelve francs, service non compris. He signed it, rounding it up to a thousand francs. A smile appeared on the head waiter's face for the first time that evening--a smile that would disappear when he discovered that the restaurant was the last in a long queue of creditors.

I couldn't help laughing when I read words like that. The author is so funny and witty.