Empire of Silver

•  
  • 76
  • 0
  • 0
Today is tight ass Tuesday and my friend and I decided to watch a movie. A ticket only costs 10 bucks today.

I picked a Chinese movie titled "Empire of Silver" for a change. The movie is about a Chinese banker who lived a hundred years ago. I didn't expect too much from the movie since it didn't have many good write-ups. Still, I decided to give it a try.

It turned out to be disappointing. The director just doesn't know how to tell stories. Certain parts of the movie are very slow. My friend literally fell asleep. Worst of all, "Empire of Silver", like so many other Chinese movies, tries to teach us lessons in a shallow and unconvincing way. The movie tries to say that you should be kind, loyal and stay true to yourself, but I'm not prepared to believe those values just by watching the actors' unconvincing acting. The storytelling is just not good. At the end of the movie, the main protagonist unfolded a scroll saying "kindness" and "righteousness". The director had to do that, I thought, because she knew how unconvincing the past 100minutes had been. She had to tell us in such a direct way what this movie was all about.

The movie did show us some old Chinese buildings and teach us some history lessons. I'll give it that.

I don't know the criteria based on which they import Chinese movies. None of the ones I've been to is good. The Chinese do produce a few good movies from time to time and we have a few internationally famous directors as well. I hope they will show some good ones in future.