Coup d'état

•  
  • 99
  • 0
  • 0
A political earthquake is taking place in China.

Bo Xilai, party cheif in the municipality of Chongqing and a very powerful Chinese politician, was removed from the position a few weeks ago. Nobody knows where he is or what he is doing now.

During his time in Chongqing, he initiated a series of campaigns to crack down on organized crime and revive a Maoist style "red culture". He got a lot of publicity because of that and is said to have big political ambitions.

Bo Xilai belongs to the "princeling faction" in Chinese politics, his father being a colleague of Chairman Mao. Soft spoken, beautifully dressed, he's been cultivating a charismatic image that is qutie different from other Chinese politicians. His son, Bo Guagua, went to Harrow School and Oxford, and is said to be the first Chinese student in Harrow School's 500-year history.

Some higher ups in the party are said to be uncomfortable with Bo's campaigns and his desire to enter the nine-member Politburo Standing Committee, a committee consisting of the top leadership of the Communist Party of China.

Then Bo Xilai's right hand man Wang Lijun escaped to the US consulate in Chengdu to seek political asylum. He wanted to extricate himself from the reach of Bo, who had already arrested some of Wang's allies. Wang reportedly brought evidence incriminating Bo to the US consulate. While Wang was in the consulate, the building was surrounded by police.

Wang was immediately seized by security agents after his departure from the consulate and is under investigation. Bo was replaced by another party leader shortly after the Wang Lijun incident.

What makes Bo want to silence Wang so much? What will become of Bo, whose promising political career was ended so abruptly? It's like the beginning of a thriller that leaves you with many questions. With a cup of tea in my hand, I'm patiently waiting for the next episode.