A book "My stroke of Insight"

•  
  • 360
  • 1
  • 1
I bought this book in April( is "this book this spring" weird?), and since then it was left on my bookshelf. I decided to read the book by the end of this month, and it took me about two weeks to finish up reading.
The author, Jill Bolte Taylor, is a neuroscientist who had a stroke ten years ago. She has been dedicated to research into the severe mental illness.This is about what happened to her and her description of eight year recovery both physically and mentally. She mentioned these things through as( does it need? ~としての)the eye of a brain scientist.
The book is divided into four natural divisions; "Jill's Pre-stroke life", "The morning of the stroke", Recovery chapter" and " My stroke of Insight".
She described the moment by moment when she had a stroke; how difficultit was to ask for help. She couldn't remember( or recall?) a phone number and the way to dial... and her left brain was damaged. But even though she was in such a severe situation, she thought:

" Oh my gosh, I'm having a stroke! I'm having a stroke!... Wow, this is so cool! ..... Wow, how many scientists have the opportunity to study their own brain function and mental deterioration from the inside out?"

This is the start of her story.
Her rehabilitation started from a baby-like level. She made a progress step by step; she could read one word at a time, and then attach a meaning to that sound, and go on to the next sound.
She said like this;

" The number one question that I am most frequently asked is, " How long did it take you to recover?" ....." Recover what?" If we define recovery as regaining access to old programs, then I am only partially recovered."

In the latter part of the book, she mentioned how to connect " right mind" with "left mind", she said that she found the best spot in her brain so that she could find happiness.

" I recognize that mistakes will be made, but this does not mean that I need either vctimize myself or take your actions and mistakes personally.... Feeling deep inner peace and sharing kindness is always a choice for either of us. Forgiving Others and forgiving myself is always a chocie. Seeing this moment as a perfect moment is always a choice."

I think it's good for her to find a way to feel peace, but I'm not sure if this is the case for everone or not. Anyway, before the stroke, she seemed to think in her left mind.

She also listed up "Recommendations for Recovery" and " Forty things I needed the Most", and these are very informative .
Actually , my husband had stroke in his left hemorrage two years and six months ago. Luckily he is okay now, and I noticed what I had done and hadn't done for him, and what I should have done for him as well.

It's really long! Thank you for reading my journal.
Thanks in advance for your corrections!