"Shall we ダンス?"or " Shall we dance?"

•  
  • 392
  • 6
  • 2
I like the works of a director " Masayuki Suou", and "Shall we ダンス?" is one of my favorites; it is a 1996 award-winning Japanese film.
Eight years later in 2004, American version was remade. It starred Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Jenifer Lopez.
It is the movie about a shy salary man who finds new reasons for living, but settings(Is it properly used?) are rather different.
In Hollywood's version, his wife, Susan Sarandon, is a working mom, whereas in Japanese , the wife is a full-time housewife who has been devoted to her family.
At the last scene, Richard Gere invite his wife to a dance party with a rose, and it's really romantic! But it could( or would?) never happen to a Japanese married couple.
I enjoyed watching both of them. Actually the titles are the same, but these two are different movies. I like Japanese version; I like Tamiyo Kusakari's( a teacher) elegant beauty( I wanted to say' そそとして、凛とした’but it's difficult to figure out this nuance!) not Jenifer Lopez's passionate dance.

Recently a lot of Hollywood's movies are remade from Japanese ones such as ' Ring', 'Godzilla' and 'Hachi'.

Have you ever watched these movies?

Thanks in advance for your corrections and ideas!