English in Europe

•  
  • 87
  • 8
  • 1
I have stayed in Finland for 4 months, and met a lot of European people, for example Finnish, Greek, Portuguese, Czech, Slovakian, Italian, French, German, and Russian(not in Europe?). Needless to say, most of them can speak English very well. I cannot understand why they can speak such fluently. Besides most of them can speak 3 more languages. This is incredible for me. We, Japanese, had received English education for long time, at least 6 years. However we can not speak English. (Here I want to ask to European people, how long have you learn English?) So people who can speak English are highly respected in Japan. They are considered as an intellectual people, even though they are not intellectual actually. They can promote easily in their company, even though they are not competent. So teaching English in Japan is a big industry. There are a lot of English schools. Japanese spend a lot of money to learn English. You can probably find job easily.
I have thought about the reason for long time. Of course, the difference in education systems is one of the reason, but I think that this is not only one reason. Some of their language are similar to English, for example German and French. This is understandable reason, but Finnish is completely different from English. So the similarity between language is not the reason. And then I thought the reason is from characters, in other word European people are familiar with alphabets. If a language consisted of Japanese characters exists, it would be easy for Japanese to learn the language. What do you think? Do you have any other ideas? Anyway I have no choice but to study everyday.
Thank you.