Latest Comments

Apr 26, 2012 06:02 tony made 8 corrections for A World Discovered By Weari...
When you ask for comparisons between versions in this manner, it would be helpful to indicate the primary issues you're trying to fin...
Apr 25, 2012 23:16 commented on A World Discovered By Weari...
M-K-G 497 entries 17 corrections made 338 corrected
Apr 17, 2012 07:01 tony made 3 corrections for Before I Arrived ...
The two crucial facts are (1) the act of dying occurred before the act of arriving, and (2) the father was dead (a state) AT THE TIME of ...
Apr 16, 2012 21:38 tony commented on The First Time
Both are correct. "Yes, this is my first time here" is more natural than either.
Apr 16, 2012 15:19 tony made 5 corrections for After a Long Time
(A) is by far more natural than any of the others. It is the closest translation in English of 「久しぶりで」. Some of the others might sound...
Apr 10, 2012 12:02 Cate commented on To Start / To Start On
I'm pretty sure "to start on" is not grammatically correct but people say it anyway... I would just use "to start"
Apr 10, 2012 11:45 Jonadab commented on To Start / To Start On
In your context, the meaning is basically the same. In general, however, when you "start" or "start on" a task, ...
Apr 10, 2012 03:59 tony commented on To Start / To Start On
"Have you started your homework?" is a short version of "Have you started doing your homework?" I would always choose...
Apr 10, 2012 03:59 arachlyco commented on To Start / To Start On
It means pretty much the same thing. :) However, in other senses, it could mean different things. For example: Have you started the...
Apr 7, 2012 00:30 Ryan made 2 corrections for Opinions About Reading Books
You did very well with your English I'm impressed. You have better grammar than many Americans I've heard.
Mar 17, 2012 14:07 tony made 1 corrections for If You Try, You Can Do It
"something you can never do" = "something which is impossible (for you to do) "There's nothing you can never d...
Mar 17, 2012 12:37 Alphawolf commented on If You Try, You Can Do It
その翻訳はちょっといいでしょう。でも、アメリカ人の為に分かりやすくしたら、私にとって、「If you try, there's nothing you can't do, but if you never try, there's definitel...
Mar 16, 2012 21:50 tony commented on As It Seems
The meaning of "as it seems" depends on who it seems what way to. In (A), what is implied is "as it seemed to everyone wh...
Mar 15, 2012 21:46 s made 4 corrections for Short Conversation
>"watching a drama live is the key to enjoying it" I'm not sure about the word "live" here, because that us...
Mar 14, 2012 22:27 tony made 2 corrections for Short Essay ~ If I Was The ...
Athletic meetings or meets usually means contests. Did you mean that? If not, perhaps you meant "Athletic/Sports activities would be...
Mar 14, 2012 21:13 Shiawase commented on Short Essay ~ If I Was The ...
I don't think it requires any corrections as such. "The athletic meeting" implies there is only one per year. If there ...
Mar 7, 2012 23:58 tony made 3 corrections for Robots Changing the World
There is nothing wrong here. I suggested an alternative using the future tense to your sentence starting "Second, we..." becaus...
Mar 1, 2012 12:19 tony made 1 corrections for Travel Experience 4
(C) is extremely unlikely. What "my last trip during which I experienced a lot of new things" means is "the most recent of...
Mar 1, 2012 12:18 EnglishTeacherOnline made 2 corrections for Travel Experience 4
B is not correct. The only difference I saw between A and C is one ",". There is no difference in meaning. We don't ...
Feb 29, 2012 22:56 tony made 5 corrections for Travel Experience 3
Actually, the phrase "Nothing has taught me more than..." is correct but unnatural, in my opinion. It's not as jarring as &...
Feb 29, 2012 19:13 miitan commented on Travel Experience 3
I think E is the best. D is also good. C sounds a bit strange. A and B are not very good because we go "on" a trip, not "i...
Feb 28, 2012 23:08 tony made 7 corrections for Travel Experience 2
"I experienced a lot of things I had never" is grammatically incorrect. The rest is grammatically correct, but extremely unn...
Feb 28, 2012 05:43 commented on Leaving, Arriving
I would say it depends on the context, they all seem OK, although (B) is a little awkward.
Feb 24, 2012 23:41 tony commented on What Is "Island"
(B) and (C) are wrong. For example, an island can be in the middle of a lake or river. For (A), I think it is more natural to say just...
Feb 23, 2012 01:23 tony made 3 corrections for Japanese Gardens
The pronoun "one" is not used in English nearly as much as 「の」 is used as a pronoun in Japanese. These uses of "one" ...
Feb 20, 2012 22:28 tony made 1 corrections for Working Twice As Hard
"Work twice as hard" is completely natural; it means putting twice as much effort into working. "Work twice as much&quo...
Feb 18, 2012 03:48 tony made 6 corrections for Nothing New
(D) and (E) are natural, and (C) is close to being natural. I gave some other possibilities in the corrections. That's how it'...
Feb 17, 2012 20:09 tony commented on What Is ~ ?
(A) is correct. (B) is a shortened form of "Today's weak economy is the main topic of the speech." It is an acceptable a...
Feb 16, 2012 22:31 tony made 2 corrections for Good For Beginners
Only (A) sounds natural without any information about the context. "The beginners" would only be said in a context where a spe...
Feb 15, 2012 01:10 tony commented on In The Library
Yes, both sound natural. Part of the reason for this is that one can read more than one newspaper or magazine, but one usually only reads...
Feb 14, 2012 22:15 tony commented on Others / The Others
Yes, that's an excellent description of the difference. Here's another way of describing it: In (B), the speaker is comparing &qu...
Feb 14, 2012 11:14 s commented on Saying Good-bye...
I think the original sounds better than any of the alternatives, but of the alternatives, (A) sounds best. (B) sounds the strangest to me.
Feb 14, 2012 08:40 tony commented on A Little Girl Selling Matches
I agree with GirBuddy-san, but I would say it somewhat differently. "... if she had sold any (matches)... " means that the s...
Feb 14, 2012 04:37 GirBuddy commented on A Little Girl Selling Matches
From my perspective any and some mean the same thing. But with any it kind of gives the feeling that the speaker thinks that the person h...
Feb 14, 2012 02:58 tony commented on More Quickly / Faster
Your objection to (B) is presumably that "faster" is an adjective, and therefore cannot modify the verb "master". ...
Feb 14, 2012 02:47 Halcyon commented on More Quickly / Faster
A is probably better as far as sounding proper, but B is not necessarily incorrect."More quickly" and "faster" have e...
Feb 14, 2012 01:10 tony made 3 corrections for To Study English Every Day
They are all correct. In US English, "You have only to..." sounds old-fashioned and formal.
Feb 13, 2012 20:03 Vermilion made 3 corrections for To Study English Every Day
Try to と try ~ ing は意味が違いますので、最後は使えないと思います。 英語はシンプルがいいと思います。
Feb 10, 2012 23:15 tony made 5 corrections for Seasons
"... artificial modifications are made to the seasons..." sounds odd in English. An English speaker would be more likely to say...
Feb 10, 2012 12:06 hiralingual commented on In Large Part
At the risk of sounding like I'm making an irrelevant remark, I'd say I most often see the expression inserted between two lingui...
Feb 10, 2012 01:36 tony made 3 corrections for Environmental Changes
I don't think I have ever heard the earth referred to as "he" or "she" in English, even though one speaks of &quo...
Feb 7, 2012 17:03 made 1 corrections for A Person's Character
I would say (B) is the best, but (C) would work if you edited it as above.
Feb 7, 2012 12:59 tony commented on A Person's Character
Personally, I hate the use of "them" to refer to a single person, and I would completely rephrase all of the sentences to avoid...
Feb 7, 2012 12:31 commented on A Person's Character
Yes but C. sounds un-natural.
Feb 7, 2012 11:11 Jonadab commented on In Large Part
Yes, you are correct: it modifies the verb. The phrase "in large part" is almost always adverbial, answering the classic adver...
Feb 7, 2012 05:40 tony commented on In Large Part
This may be a difference in dialects, but "in large part" is perfectly correct in US English, and "in a large part" w...
Feb 7, 2012 05:35 Maverickbc ロン Ron 론 made 1 corrections for In Large Part
Your so right, our choices create our futures. What we think and feel also brings into our lives the reality. Your words are well spoken ...
Feb 7, 2012 00:52 tony commented on So That ... / In Order To ...
I don't think that there is any difference in meaning. (A) is a bit smoother; "in order" is a bit awkward with a negative v...
Feb 7, 2012 00:34 tony made 2 corrections for Our Own Language(s)
It depends on what group of people you're talking about. If the people you're talking about all share the same language, then (A)...
Feb 4, 2012 19:33 tony made 2 corrections for To Owe A to B
You can also indicate that a passage is quoted by indenting it (making the entire passage start further to the right than the main body o...