- I ordered a drug store chain, Rite Aid to print our family Christmas cards online three days ago.
- I placed an ordered with a drug store chain, Rite Aid, to print our family Christmas cards online three days ago.
- (1) To order someone to do sthg VS. (2) To place an order / To order + noun (1) You would only use this in a restaurant/commercial setting if you were upset with the service and wanted to express anger (see the second example). EX. I ordered my son to clean his room. EX. I ordered the waitress to get her manager because I was unhappy with my food. (2) EX. I placed an order yesterday for a shipment of pens. EX. I ordered pens yesterday (from the store)
Dec 12, 2014 11:33 Rite Aid
- When I offered a small amount of compensation to them tentatively, they told us that they didn’t have intention to demand money, they just want us not to repeat the same mistake.
- When I tentatively offered them a small (monetary) compensation to them tentatively, they told me that they had no intention of demanding money; they just want us not to repeat the same mistake.
Dec 10, 2014 20:07 Generosity
- The kitchen was equipped with new devices.
- The kitchen was equipped with new appliances.
- Things like stoves, ovens, mixers, washers/dryers, etc. - machines used in the house are usually called "appliances". Department stores usually call the department where stoves/ovens/washer/dryers are sold "Kitchen Appliances" or sometimes just "Appliances"
Dec 9, 2014 20:48 My New House
- When I came back home at night, he told me that my curry got a good reputation from his friends.
- When I came back/returned home that night, he told me that my curry went over well with his friends. or ...was a big success with his friends. ...his friends raved about my curry. ...my curry got big complements from his friends.
- "got a good reputation" is awkward here because a reputation is not something that is given or received, like an action, by a person or thing. It is a characteristic about something that becomes known or admired among certain people. If you want to use the word "reputation" you would have to say something like "now, my curry has a great reputation among his friends" or "now, I have a reputation for my awesome curry among his friends". This is not so simple to explain.
Dec 8, 2014 20:40 My Son's Favorite