TOEFL Writing: Some people believe that the Earth is being harmed by human activity. Others feel that human activity makes the Earth a better place to live. What is your opinion?

•  
  • 1362
  • 2
  • 1
In recent days, more and more people are concerning environment protection. They are worrying about their living conditions are becoming more and more worse for the gradually worsen environments. I think these concerns are necessary and reasonable. I believe the main reasons are from some human activities.

One of some problems occurred in human activities is that carbon dioxide emission has no indication of decrease, but an steady increase year by year. As we all known, too much carbon dioxide can get the Earth too warm to lead to some extreme climates, such as floods recently happened in Australia and Europe, blizzards in North America. The carbon dioxide emission always accompanies with the usage of automobile powered by gasoline and fuel electric powers. Fortunately, some natural energy resources, like wind, solar power are utilized progressively, I think these actions will benefit the decrease of people's dependence on carbon burning to get power. However, it seems a long way to apply a widely using of these natural energy resources on a large scale.

Another serious problem is sharp decrease of forests. From TV or Internet, you can see many forests are shrinking sharply. For example, Amazon rain forest has reduced largely in decades by the expansion of agriculture, lumbering etc. Although superficially it will improve people's living level with large supply of meat and cereal, people can not benefit from planting crops by deforesting, and probably get punishment from nature. Most scientists believe the recent extreme climate disasters have relationship with the becoming less rain forests to some extent.

Therefore, I believe that human activity has caused serious problems to the Earth by the uncontrollable exploiting. We need to reassess the cost of human activity and give an alternative proper solution for our energy resources immediately.