The topic: Is it difficult for you to stay focused?

•  
  • 47
  • 0
  • 0
The topic: Is it difficult for you to stay focused? What do you do to help you concentrate?

This topic is from a member in my English practice WeChat group. I think the reason she chose this topic was because she had trouble focusing on her work. Actually, she talked to me briefly regarding this before she came up with the topic.

To answer first question, I do find it very difficult to stay focused simply because there are too many distractions. When I wake up, the first thing I do is to check my WeChat and if there is no message, I check my moment, then Youtube, twitter, reddit, gmail, etc. Before I know it, an hour has past. This always frustrates me because it feels like I have been controlled by the internet and I am no longer the “admin” for my own behaviors. It’s like I am being “hacked” and the “hacker”, the internet is controlling me.

What do I do to help myself concentrate?

I turn off notifications from all apps because the buzz they make drive me crazy. I have noticed that if I don’t have WeChat logged in on my computer, I focus better. Thus, if I need to do any work that requires a certain amount of concentration, I don’t have my WeChat on my computer.

The second trick I use is to record your work performance. What do I mean by that? You record the time when you start working, then do the same when you finish. Usually, every chunk of my working period is 20-30 minutes. After each session, I take a break. I can check my phone, email and so on. However, you have to set a strict rule for yourself, or else it won’t work. You must not do anything but work during your 20-30 minutes working session.