Standing on the street and asking strangers to do something would b...

•  
  • 62
  • 1
  • 1
Standing on the street and asking strangers to do something would be inconceivable for me even a few years ago. I had always been shy and easy to get nervous in front of people.

Last weekend, however, I overcame my fear and to my surprise, I even enjoyed it. I stood there with people staring at me with strange looks, I acted like I owed the place. I fearlessly asked nearly everyone that passed by to consider being interviewed by me.

Unfortunately, passengers didn't seemed to be attracted to my offer and most of them looked away as I approached them as if I was trying to trick them in some way. Chinese people have become indifferent and doubtful with strangers. This is understandable considering how dangerous it can be to trust a stranger in China. There are cases in which people help elderly and get sued because the "victims" falsely claim that the Samaritans are the ones hurt them in the first place.

Luckily, with all the obstacles, I managed to get 10 people and some of them were very nice. Even more interestingly, one of them turned out to be my neighbour!

As much as I understand why people acted indifferently towards strangers, I also don't think it's right to ignore someone who might be in need of help. We just need to be aware of the potential dangerous and be more cautious while helping others. But we must have faith that there are good people out there.