Why do I get anxious when I am not working?

•  
  • 54
  • 1
  • 1

Recently, due to a total unexpected problem, some of my work plans had to be put on hold and I can’t do anything other than waiting. While waiting, I could have made myself useful and started thinking about what to do later. Instead, I immersed myself in this anxious and frustrating emotions.

This got me thinking that perhaps the reason people need to work is that without it, it will be very unfulfilling and the emptiness it creates can swallow us whole.
Obviously, not everyone shares this feeling. Some people enjoy being off from work while others can’t live without work. I belong to the latter category. Doing nothing makes me feel that I am wasting my life and that I am worthless.

In Chinese, there is a word to describe this type of people and that is 劳碌命/lao2 lu4 ming4. This means the person has a life of hard toil and he/she can’t rest for a minute because of “God” keep sending him/her tasks. Usually, it’s applied to situations in which the person has to work for survival. But when I use it on my situation, it’s more of a joke.