The Other Meanings

•  
  • 572
  • 5
  • 2
I came across some English words that I knew the main meanings, but I didn’t know the other meanings while I was reading an English book last night.
Needless to say, English words have a lot of meanings in a word.
Sometimes I take words wrongly without knowing it and after days or even months later, I find my misunderstandings by looking them up in the dictionary.
Looking words up in the dictionary is bothersome, especially when I don’t want to be interrupted reading story by doing it.
If I look up all of the words in a book that I don’t understand in the dictionary, I would probably end up giving up finishing it.
I think you shouldn’t look up a word you don’t understand in the dictionary, every time you come across it, if you want to be able to read books in a foreign language.
You can usually interpret the meaning by reading between the lines.
It’s important to make balanced choices. (Does this sentence sound unnatural? Does it sound Japanese English?)

Well, the words I didn’t know the other meanings are as follows:
1.Ribbon
I thought the word has only one meaning, “a long narrow strip of material."
However, I encountered a sentence that said,“It was soon cut to ribbons.”
This sentence confused me.
I didn’t know when the word is plural, it has the other meanings.
According to the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, “cut/tear to ribbons” means to destroy or badly damage something or someone by cutting or tearing them many times.
I couldn’t imagine the word has that meaning.

2.Strain
A meaning of the word I knew was pressure.
I encountered a sentence that said,“No, to cheer up the doctors and nurses: It will be a strain on them.”
A situation of the sentence is that a lady who was a singer sung before taking a serious operation and she was asked if it was for herself.
At first, I took the sentence mean it will be a pressure on them, but it sounded utterly strange to me.
I found the word means music as well in the dictionary.

3.Beetle
I couldn’t imagine the word has the other meanings beside insect.
I encountered a sentence that said,“Don’t let the Beetles get you down.”
I wondered how the Beetles could get humans down.
According the Genius English-Japanese dictionary, Beetles are the symbol of unfortunate.

I have more words that I’d like to mention, but I’ll finish for today.