Help Me! I Don’t Know How To Say, “富士山は自慢したい山なんですよ” In English

•  
  • 666
  • 13
  • 3
A teacher who teaches English to junior high school students in Japan as a member of the JET program comes to a store where my sister works and they often have a small talk in Japanese these days.
So far, he can speak very basic Japanese like, “Hello! How are you? I’m tired.”
When I heard about it for the first time, I told my sister that she should talk to him in Japanese rather than in English, because I thought he would rather use Japanese.
So, basically, she talks to him in Japanese.
However, because he seems that he started learning Japanese a short while ago, he didn’t know about what a week (一週間) meant in Japanese, when she told him, “You came here for the first time in a week. How have you been?”
So, she said the word in English again.
And then he told her in Japanese that he climbed Mt. Fuji a while ago and thought it was very beautiful.
In return, she told him in Japanese, “富士山は自慢したい山なんですよ”
However, he didn’t understand what 自慢 meant and she also didn’t know how to say it in English.
So, she told him that she would look up the word in a dictionary until next time.
When she came home from work that day, she asked me about how to say自慢したい in English.
I thought that the literal translation of 富士山は自慢したい山なんですよ was “Mt. Fuji is the mountain that we want to brag” or “Mt. Fuji is the mountain that we want to boast.”
It seemed to me that “brag” and “boast” sounded negative and arrogant in a way.
I told her,
“How about saying, “Japanese people are proud of Mt. Fuji” instead?”
She didn’t like it, because she meant that she wanted people to praise Mt. Fuji with saying, “富士山は自慢したい山なんですよ”
Do you have any good ideas?
“Mt. Fuji is the mountain that we want to show off” also doesn’t seem right to me.
I’d appreciate it if you would help me with this.

Thanks for reading a long post!