Question

•  
  • 36
  • 1
  • 1
Jul 18, 2019 19:07 English
Some of my acquaintances who come from abroad told me that most of the English descriptions and translations in Taiwan are almost incorrect.

For instance, some traffic signs on the roads or some governmental organizations such as library, the English translation seem to be weird in my view.

The library where I work called ‘’New Taipei City Library’’, this is our library’s formal title in English.

Is it correct in English? This library is a public library which was established by New Taipei Municipal Government.

In my opinion, perhaps ‘’Municipal Library of New Taipei’’ is correct?

Another question is that our library has a tiny room, which offers for those are Muslim, because they need to pray to their God five times a day(if my memory serves me correct).

The English translation of this room is ‘’Musala Pray room’’, is it wrong? Why they used ‘’Musala’’ rather than ‘’Muslim’’? I haven’t heard anyone who used ‘’Musala’’ before.

One more question, every public building must have a room can offer for mothers to Breastfeed their children.

The English translation in our library is the ‘’Breast Room’’.

Perhaps my superior found a bad English translator?

Since I have been learning English many years, although my English is still bad, I can detect some errors a little bit by my instinct when I see some English descriptions or translations at some public occasions.

Are they all belong to ‘’Chinglish’’(Chinese-style English)?
(我的一些來自國外的熟人告訴我在臺灣多數的英文敘述與翻譯幾近錯誤)

(舉例來說,一些在路上的交通標誌或政府組織比如圖書館,對我而言他們的英文翻譯似乎怪異)

(我工作的圖書館叫做’’ ‘’New Taipei City Library’’’’,這是我們的圖書館的英文的正式抬頭)

(這在英文是正確的嗎?這個圖書館是由新北市政府所建立的)

(在我看來,或許’’ Municipal Library of New Taipei’’才是正確的?)

(另一個問題是我們的圖書館有一間小房間,提供給穆斯林的,因為他們需要一天向他們的神禱告五次(如果我沒記錯))

(這間房間的英文翻譯是’’ Musala Pray room’’,這有錯嗎?為什麼他們用’’ Musala’’而不是’’Muslim’’?我之前沒聽過有用’’Musala’’的人)

(再一個問題,每個公共建築必定有一間房間提供給媽媽們餵養她們的孩子們)

(在我們圖書館的英文翻譯是’’ Breast Room’’)

(或許我的長官找了一個差勁的英文翻譯?)

(我學英文多年,雖然我的英文仍然很爛,但當我在一些公共場合看一些英文描述或翻譯的時候,我可以用我的直覺察覺到一點點錯誤)

(這些都是’’中式英文’’嗎?)