My Literature Review 1(plese correct, thanks)

•  
  • 301
  • 2
  • 1

American author Margaret Munnerlyn Mitchell (1900-1949) was born in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. She used to be a local journalist. Mitchell won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1937 for her novel, Gone with the wind. Through all her life there were not so many works, but only by this novel, Gone with the wind, is enough to established her as a unshakeable position in the history of the world’s literature. For more than half a century, around the novel especially the classic image of the heroine, Scarlett. Many domestic and foreign experts and scholars made related researches and comments from a variety of perspectives.
The book was published during the great depression. A three-dollar price tag, for most people it was prohibitively,but beyond expectation, in its first year Gone With the Wind sold 1,383,000 copies. Over the next several years, before World War II began, 24 countries had published translations of the novel. Ten years later, Mitchell received the reader's high praise and heartfelt thanks all over the world. Donald W. Miller[1] in Gone with the Wind, An American Epic, according to the conclusion that when people from several countries after reading the novel. She indicated that the novel pointed out the different but clear direction for the people who in the different situation of different countries, encouraging these people to bolster their confidence, going towards the light. Regretfully, such a world popular novel but in a embarrassing position in world literature history. A famous critical article A Critic at Large, A Study in Scarlett published in The New Yorker by Pierpont Claudia Roth[2], there is a sentence "Say, is my kingdom lost?" would be an appropriate epigraph for Gone with the wind. Scholars and critics at that time put focus on " slavery" in this novel. They indicated that the writer had the tendency that cherished the former South life. In the author’s works, slave owners and slaves in South keep a harmonious relationship. There are no exploitation and whip, only peaceful, wealthy life such like paradise. Therefore, the novel was denied by the mainstream society, it was deleted in American literary history published in each period. Taylor[3] in The Old South and American National Character refer that Southern plantation mistress the "heart and soul" of the plantation. Their daughters reflect their strength, show the American nation's pioneering and innovative spirit. Taylor's is perhaps the best historical analysis of the literary tradition to Margaret Mitchell's novel. he labels "plantation literature," [4]novels revolving around Southern plantations written in the 1830's, 1840's.