Running and rotating somen noodles 流し素麺と回り素麺

•  
  • 2554
  • 9
  • 4
Jan 11, 2011 09:08 noodles
Some posh restaurants serves 'running somen' 流し素麺. In their Japanese garden, a gutter made of a longitudinally-cut long bamboo is placed. You wait for somen by the bamboo gutter together with your family or friends with chopsticks in right hand and a glass with the sauce in left hand. Then, a bundle of somen noodles come through the gutter towards you with water flow. Your skill of chopsticks is now challenged. You have to get the noodles before others can! But don't worry, there will be plenty of noodles coming later. When I was a kid, I always sat at the most upstream so as to get all the somen noodles coming.

This one is a bit modernised version. But you can get what 'running somen' is like.

'Running somen' is often held in private parties as well, but finding a decent bamboo gutter is rather tricky. A restaurant in Kagoshima, Kyushu, invented 'running-somen tables'. As a matter of fact, they are 'rotating' on tables rather than running.

When I went there with one of my friends, he put bones of a fish into it, and then said, "Look! It's swimming again!"

Then, some companies stated selling 'running somen machines' for families.

そうめん太郎

そうめんや

Now, I hope you understand how much we love somen!