Encounters 2/2

•  
  • 338
  • 4
  • 2
***
Once I was going down a street near by a town market. I've caught a young man looking at me, “Excuse me, could I have a moment, please?” I thought, “It must be a beggar or a JW.” It was end of lunchtime and I would be late at work, so I answered, “No, you haven’t.” The man seemed encouraged, “Could I have a moment?” I was relentless, “You have not.” Pulling out a police badge, the man said, “Stop, now!” It wasn’t a JW. There was some routine alarm for the police; I was walking too fast and another man after me was walking fast, and the police suspected us together in doing something illegal. Later, walking away, I was laughing. Nevertheless, I wasn’t be late at work.
***
Once, at a wintry evening I was going to home. A woman was going from opposite direction. She looked at me as if she wanted to ask something. She came to me and said something smiling. I didn’t get it at first. She asked me, “Are you a prince?” I finally understood – she was mentally disabled, “Excuse me, I’m not a one.” She didn’t give up, “You look like a prince, you have kind eyes.” What could I say? I went away feeling mixture of pity and displeasure.