Hypochondria and Thanatophobia

•  
  • 27
  • 0
  • 2
Sometimes entries about hypochondria fetch out on Lang-8. Men usually publish them (to tell more truly, only men). This is subject close to me, so I decided to contribute to the topic. “I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased…” (Notes from the Underground). But, if to turn to literature, it’s better to remember “Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)”. There, one of main characters was reading a medical reference book and discovered by himself symptoms all diseases except one, and absence this one upset him first, but then he decided that rest are enough. He thought that he made happy his friend-physician giving him an opportunity to make big scientific discovery, but that discouraged him prescribing to him strolls, diet and something else in that spirit.
Thanatophobia. I bump into this word in the “Cure from Fear” by Vladimir Levy. Thanatophobia wasn’t main topic of the book, it was mentioned just marginally. As far as I could understood then and can remember now, an exaggerated concerning of people of theirs bodies is manifestation of subconscious fear of death. It’s funny that new idols nave more whit and straight teeth than aging icons, was there less fear in the world than it’s today? I mean vague fears of something in the states of the first world that don’t face with war or famine.
***
I remember I had a tooth pulled. When I was told that the tooth mast be removed, I felt as I had a cancer, I was losing a part of mine. Of course, it’s exaggeration, but my liver is really diseased, and not just the liver. I am a sick man…