A Spoiler

•  
  • 93
  • 14
  • 3
When I was in second or third grade, an honor-roll student taught our math lessons instead our teacher. (I wonder is such a situation is possible today, when an ungraduated juvenal person teach in class)
She told us about fractions. She told us that if cannot to divide one number by another one without a remainder, a fractional number comes. Three divided by five is three to five (три делённое на пять это три пятых) or 3/5. Further, she said if we have the first number called numerator (числитель), is bigger than the second one called denominator (знаменатель), we extrude a divisible part to make a numerator less than a denominator. 7:5 is 1 and 2/5 (одна целая и две пятых), not 7/5. She suddenly stopped and said, “Well, actually it’s possible that numerator is bigger than denominator, but you will know that later.” I was a bit puzzled and slightly worried. What does she say? How is it possible? When will we know that? (Don’t let an ungraduated person teach a lesson.) The time intervened. I learned that there are irregular fractions… and decimals … and it’s possible to divide by nil… more and more. Math wasn’t my favorite subject in school, but I loved it in university (I understood it better than the other students did)