A Dairy Farmer in Fukushima Commits Suicide

•  
  • 1042
  • 5
  • 2
Jun 14, 2011 20:08 news
I'm going to translate a news story on Yomiuri Online.

It is reported on Monday that a dairy farmer in his fifties, who lived in Soma city, Fukushima, committed suicide after slaughtering his cows and going out of buisiness. He left a message that says "if only there is no nuclear power plants."

福島第一原発の事故で、牛を処分して廃業した福島県相馬市の酪農家男性(50歳代)が「原発さえなければ」と書き残して自殺していたことが13日、わかった。

The reporter says that the farmer was found on Saturday, June 11th, hanging himself in a barn. He chalked on the wall of the barn, "I have lost my energy to work," "surviving farmers, don't be defeated by the nuclear plant."

関係者によると、男性は今月11日、小屋で首をつった状態で見つかった。小屋の壁に白チョークで「仕事する気力をなくしました」「残った酪農家は原発にまけないで」と記していた。

In his area, farmers were prohibited to ship raw milk after the radiation leak of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. The man milked cows and threw the milk away. By the beginning of this month, he had slaughtered about 30 cows. He continued his father's business and ran the farm with his family. His elder sister said, "Thinking about his children, I don't want to talk about his death, but I'd like to take a legal action against the nuclear plant."

男性が住む地区は当初、加工前牛乳が出荷停止となり、男性は乳を搾っては捨てていた。今月初旬までに約30頭を処分した。男性は親の代から酪農を続けており、姉は本紙の取材に「(弟の死は)子どもたちのことを思えば話したくない。しかし、原発の件は訴えたい」と語った。

His friend who is also a farmer said, "he repeatedly said that there would be no compensation because here is not the evacuation area." Another farmer said, "every time I talked to him, he was worried that he lost everything because of the nuclear plant."

酪農家仲間だった男性(51)は「避難区域ではないため、補償はないだろうと繰り返していた」といい、農業男性(53)は「連絡をとるたびに『原発ですべてを失った』と悩んでいた」と話した。

The news resource:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20110614-OYT1T00091.htm

Whaa! (TロT) This is so sad!!!!
Poor farmer....and the cows....