I'm in love with Hiroshige

•  
  • 472
  • 3
  • 1
Nov 20, 2010 08:47 art japan me
Hiroshige is one of the most famous Ukiyo-e artists. Ukiyo-e is a kind of Japanese wood block prints and paintings produced in the 17th-20th centuries. I've known his name because I studied in history class. Actually, I didn't pay attention to the picture of his work at that time. I thought all Ukiyo-e works are similar.

But I first saw his work the other day, I was amazed at its dramatic perspective and effective compositions. And it was purely beautiful. I looked at the caption and it said that the work was by Hiroshige. It made me want to see more of his works.

Last wednesday, I went to the Ukiyo-e Ota Memorial Museum of Art which specializes in Ukiyo-e, as you can tell from the name. I usually look at paintings first and then at captions, but where I stopped was only at the front of a Hiroshige's work. It seems I've already fallen in love.

Vincent van Gogh was also one of the people who loved his works. He copied 2 works from the series "One Hundred Famous Views of Edo."

What I like about his work is that there are always gleaming ideas in it. I enjoy finding those Ideas about how to look at things or how to show them dramatically.

I bought myself a souvenir. It's a post card book of 24 pictures from "One Hundred Famous Views of Edo." Each one of them is good! This is going to be my treasure.

I guess I should check out Hokusai, too. His most famous "Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji" is going to be on display at Tokyo National Museum on January. I'm going to go.