Niqab ban?

•  
  • 714
  • 7
  • 3
I read about the niqab controversy in Canada.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/06/canada-niqab-ban-conservative-stay-rejected

I'm disappointed to see how it even became a controversy and went to the supreme court. Everyone should be able to choose what to wear.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said “It is offensive that someone would hide their identity at the very moment where they are committing to join the Canadian family.”
That is too conceptual. If you want to take someone's freedom, you should logically explain how it is harmful to other people. Someone saying the foreign culture felt kinda "offensive" is not enough.
She unveiled herself when she was asked by a guard and passed the identity check, so I don't think it really scares other people. Besides, she is not hiding her identity. She is actually proudly expressing her identity as a conservative Muslim woman to join this citizenship ceremony.

It's okay to criticize other people's outfit, but you don't have the right to ban them.

I strongly believe everyone should be able to wear what they want. I come from Japan, and I was forced to wear a school uniform in middle school and hated it. (Every single middle school in my area had uniforms and there weren't any options. I applied to and entered a high school with no uniforms.)
No one should tell you what to wear because clothes affect your self-worth and identity. It's freedom, and if they fail to make a good impression, that's their responsibility.
Banning a specific piece of clothing is not a solution to anything. And practically everyone knows the current bans in western countries are coming from the fear of Islamic culture, which is shameful. Concentrate on something else, Canada!