In heaven There Is No Beer!

•  
  • 168
  • 4
  • 1
Today, I just finished reading "Black House" co-authored by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It is a sequel to "The Talisman" which was also co-authored by them.
In "The Talisman", Jack Sawyer, a 12 years old protagonist, saves his cancer-stricken mother by acquiring "the talisman" flipping into and exploring a parallel world he named "the Territories". In this sequel, Jack has grown up and become a lieutenant in LADP (same as Columbo?), and after a series of flamboyant activities he has retired at the early age of 40.
Several years passes and there appears a serial killer named Fisherman in a little town of Wisconsin. Three children are brutally killed by him and a forth victim (boy) vanishes and a local police chief asks for help from his retired friend Jack Sawyer.

"The Talisman" was a dark fantasy, but this is the darkest fantasy I ever read, filled with a lot of brutal descriptions. I especially liked the scene where Jack Sawyer gang (Jack and his posse) enters into the Black House to rescue the lost boy. The Black House is both a Fisherman's hiding place and a entrance to the parallel world. Their exploration from the entrance into the innards of this vast world is narrated in a terse style unlike usual Stephen King's style, evoking a more darker version of "Alice in Wonderland".

There are a few engaging sidekicks and I like the members of Thunder Five, which is a group of bikers who love Harley-Davidsons, are intelligent as well as terribly rough. One of Thunder Five members, Mouse, is bitten by a dog like the Baskervilles, poisoned and mutters something interesting in his delirium:

In heaven there is no beer. That's why we drink it here and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!

I guessed this is a lyrics of some song, googled and found this:

https://youtu.be/m_tVkkoeVmc?t=38s