The phrase "こうだと思います。”

•  
  • 443
  • 7
  • 2
Tonight I am talking about ad ifference between Japan and English in Grammar and phrases. Have you heard of "それは、こうだと思います。” in your office or in your classroom ? People often say this phrase at the end of their words. In most cases, they fully understand what they say are right. However, they add the phrase "こうだと思います。” It is trasnlated "I think that"

"I think that" is learned by Jpanese people when they learn English in junior high school. So Japnese people who only live in Japan say "I think that" when they tell their opinion to others.

Japanese people also learn the word "should" in junior hight school. "Should" referes to すべきです when Japanese students learn English grammar. すべきです is not used every day because it's too strong to say.

On the otther hand, I've noticed that English native speakers say "It should be" without "I think that" when they tell about their opinion or something like their seraching results. In Hong Kong I also learned that non-Japanese native speakers say their opinion lilerlary or directly. It may be an emotional reason. However, English words are very functional and easy to understand by words. So they don't need "I think that" when they usually say their opinions. This is my opinion :)

Notice that Japanrse people have usually have their confidece when they say " こうだと思います。” when they say their opinion based on their professional skills or their long espericences for something their majors. You need to understand how they work or how long they work in their offices.