Yoi Yoi Yama came in Kyoto (Gion Matsuri!)

•  
  • 620
  • 3
  • 2
Hello everyone. Here is the link to the post http://mamabicycle.blogspot.jp/2014/07/yoi-yoi-yama-came-in-kyoto-extra-posts.html and the body. Gion Matsuri!~

-The body

Caption: A mother walked across Shinmachi Street while pushing her mama bicycle

Gion Matsuri has started in Kyoto. A lot of tourists are participating in the festival. Yesterday was the second night festival day called Yoi Yoi Yama. Yoi means a day before the big parade. So the wooden festival vehicles called Hoko and Yama will be pulled and pushed along streets by the residents in two days.

On all streets except boulevards, you can't drive cars. Pedestrians and cyclists are only allowed to pass by there. Tourists slowly walk around while seeing the historical handmade wooden vehicles which are only built during this week.

My daughters sold festival goods called Chimaki which prevent evil from entering a house. Gion Matsuri was started as a requiem for the dead residents in Heian Period who died from a huge epidemic plague in these days. Chimaki is kinda charms against the epidemics.

Caption: My daughters were assigned as sales ladies for Chimaki

It was a shame that I was assigned to an emergent task so I could't participate in the big night walk. But the festival continues for a while!