Some people think the sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults.

•  
  • 7831
  • 0
  • 1
Nowadays, with the fast development of society, parents are holding higher and higher expectations for their children. The hot topic whether children should be encouraged to have the sense of competition or be taught to cooperate has been recently brought into focus. From my point of view, both sense of competition and sense of cooperation play a crucially important role in the growth of children.

Firstly, in view of the harsh competition of the whole society, it is necessary for parents and teachers to encourage children to have the sense of competition. In fact, the competition between man and nature; man and man; originated from Darwinism. Darwin puts it“The fittest is survival”. In other words , only those who excel at competing with antagonist can subsist, which adds importance to cultivating the sense of competition in children. However, spurring the sense of rivalry at children’s early stage can contribute to their pessimistic attitude toward the society, which may, to some extent, cast a shallow in their innocent childhood.

What comes to next, the quality of cooperation is everywhere ranging from international and national affairs to technological and non-technological research. On the one hand, cooperation is vital for most ways of unraveling problems. Examples abound to prove the significance of cooperation. Both in China and in most other nations, teachers often encourage their students to form groups in order to solve problems more effectively and reasonably. On the other, excessive cooperation can lead to the loss of individualism. Admittedly, teaming up is quite important, but undue cooperation may confine students to some stereotype thinking. To make it worse , it may cumber students’ creative thinking that is far more important than cooperation in this era burst with massive information.

At the final analysis, those two qualities above have both positive and negative effect on children’s growth. What we should do to make more useful adults out of children is preserve the good parts while eliminating the bad parts of competition.