The Onlooker Sees Clear

•  
  • 334
  • 6
  • 2
The Onlooker Sees Clear
I have read last stage of Western Han. The emperors in this period were not as talented as the predecessors. Therefore, the dynasty was falling. For example, they did not accept good suggestions, and were lust, being fooled by his subordinated. As a reader who is on the spot being baffled, it is easy to think these emperors were stupid, but it is very difficult that he had to make cleaver decision from many suggestions while removing personal desire. Needless to say, the time and space are quite different compared to today’s. Sometimes, I think that if I was in their positions, I might do worse than them. The author (Bo Yang) said these emperors are not the worst, but third-rate emperors. In my opinion, one of their advantage of these emperors was that they did not give orders of nine familial exterminations so easily as their predecessors. The author (Bo Yang) thought that this penalty is the cruelest part in the Chinese culture, and has disappeared until modern period.
旁觀者清
我已經看到接近西漢的後期的歷史。這個時期的皇帝不如之前的英明,所以帝國慢慢衰落了。比如說不接納好的建議,好色且被他的臣子愚弄。因為讀者是旁觀者清,所以會覺得皇帝真笨,但是他要在眾多意見中,屏除私慾,果斷地做出好的判斷,真的不容易呢。還不用說他處的時代跟我們不同。我有時候會想,如果我到他那個位置,也許做得更差呢。
作者說這些皇帝只算三流,還不算最差的。我覺得後面這幾個皇帝的優點是至少不會像前幾任那樣,動不動就滅人全族。作者(柏楊)也嚴厲批評這種誅殺九族的刑罰是中國最殘酷的文化,直到近代才消失。