Magnanimity

•  
  • 231
  • 2
  • 2
Magnanimity
These two days I completely indulged in reading ancient Chinese history. I had read Emperor Gaozu (the founder and first emperor of the Han dynasty 256 or 247 – 1 June 195 BC) and Emperor Wen of Han (202–157 BC). Even though these two emperors had different personalities, both of them are magnanimous people. Emperor Gaozu was an ordinary person at first, and built the Han dynasty. He did not like reading books, but had open mind, being able to accept the best stratagems. All the critical decisions made during his tenure were not his thought by himself but others’ ideas. When knew his mistakes, he could offer apologizes to his subordinate staffs. A great leader is modest enough to take counsel with anyone. It is said that “be glad to have one’s errors pointed out”. I think that it is not easy to have this kind of virtue. Generally, most of people would fly into a rage of humiliation. But only get rid of dominance of emotion, we can take it up a notch.
雅量
這兩天沉浸在讀古代中國歷史的喜悅之中。
我讀了漢高祖及漢文帝的歷史。雖然這兩的皇帝的風格大不相同,但是都算是有雅量的君主。前者是從平民創建了漢帝國,不喜歡讀書,但胸襟開闊,能採納最好的謀略。所有他任內關鍵性的決策,都是別人出的主意。當他知道自己犯了錯誤,也會和自己的屬下道歉。
所以好的領導者要能有「納諫」的雅量。有句話說「聞過則喜」,就是指聽到別人批評自己的缺點,能虛心受教。我覺得這是很不容易的修養。一般人碰到這種情況都會惱羞成怒,但是只有能夠跳脫情緒的人才會更上一成樓吧!