Pronunciation Practice(8): Sophie's World

•  
  • 233
  • 1
  • 1
In our own time, however, scientists have discovered that atoms can be broken into smaller " elemental particles. " We call these elemental particles protons, neutrons, and electrons. These will possibly some day be broken into even lesser particles. But physicists agree that somewhere along the line there has to be a limit. There has to be a " minimal part" of which nature consists.

Democritus did not have access to modern electronic apparatus. His only proper equipment was his mind. But reason left him no real choice. Once it is accepted that nothing can change, that nothing can come out of nothing, and that nothing is ever lost, then nature must consist of infinitesimal blocks that can join and separate again.

Democritus did not believe in any " force" or " soul" that could intervene in natural processes. The only things that existed, he believed, were atoms and the void.
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1G7Bn21uFmm
然而,在我們的時代,科學家們已經發現原子可以分解成更小的“基本粒子”。我們把這些基本粒子叫做質子、中子和電子。他們也許會在某一天被分解為更小的粒子。但是物理學家們認為這總有個盡頭。組成自然界的“最小分子”一定是存在的。

的莫克裡斯特沒有接觸過現代的電子儀器。嚴格來說他唯一的設備就是他的思維。然而理性讓他沒有真正地因此而動搖。只要確認了萬物不變,萬物有源和萬物永存,那麼自然界必然是由能夠反復聚散的極其微小的積木組成的。